Thursday, July 3, 2014

The 4th of July

I can't remember the last time I bought fireworks. I'm going to guess maybe 10, 12 years ago? But I remember buying fireworks growing up!! School had been out for a couple weeks and I couldn't wait for my dad and mom to drive to some parking lot tent so I could spend way too much money and not get enough fireworks. My favorite would be getting a watermelon and filling it up with firecrackers and watching the flesh of the melon explode into our driveway. And then I would cry because I just realized I blew up a watermelon (I was a different kid).
But this year I wonder-what are we celebrating? What am I, a middle aged (ugh), Christian, husband, daddy of 2 celebrating this year? Am I celebrating a country that is glorifying God, or one that simply glorifies itself in tolerating instead of standing? It's hard for me sometimes to be a proud American. There are so many news stories that come from our 'leaders' that make me shake my head. When I was a teenager I didn't care, mainly because I didn't understand. Now that I'm an adult I need to care, because I do understand what's going on.
In the name of tolerance our country would rather not be a Christian nation anymore. We would rather be a melting pot of every religion, culture, and philosophy because we want to be known as inclusive to everyone and everything. It's kind of like your Facebook profile. What can I say to spruce it up a little bit? How can I receive more friends, more likes? And in doing so lose my identity and in actuality, lose my soul. We are losing the fabric of who America is and why we were here in the first place, because we are forgetting.
We are forgetting why we are here. We are forgetting the sacrifices of those families that crammed into a ship and made the first voyage to the colonies, we are forgetting the sacrifices our armed forces have made through the centuries. We are forgetting that there is a God.
So we need to remember. We need to remember that there is a reason for us to be here. There is a reason that America exists, and there is a reason we are where we are right now.

You remember George Washington? Pretty good guy. He risked his life for a country that had not even been formed yet. We have America, and yet we ask everyday what can America do for me, what can I get out of America, instead of giving something back (sound like a famous quote?). And for some of you, you're thinking, 'Why would I give to a country thats corrupt?' Good question. Can you help America by loving your neighbor? Can you help America by praying for it's leaders(YES ALL OF THEM!)?
Without this blogpost becoming a rant I want to sum up my thoughts. I love America. I was proud when I went to Lowe's and bought a flag for my house. I'm humbled and fortunate that I get to raise my family here. But please listen.
The time has come for us to stand. The time for whining is over. This is a great nation because we serve a great God. We have an incredible inheritance of faith in this country and we need to pass it on. We need to teach that true freedom comes from Christ alone.

-PC
pastorcory@rescuesumner.org
www.rescuesumner.org

No comments:

Post a Comment