Friday, March 28, 2014

This is Why I'm Free

This is who I am, 
It's where I stand, I won't apologize
This is why I'm free, now I believe
I will not compromise, this is who I am. 
-Colton Dixon 'This is Who I Am'

I'm beginning to understand why people take breaks from Facebook, Twitter, and other social media outlets. If you're not careful you can fall into a mode of hatred-real quick!! There have been times where I was literally frozen staring at my computer thinking, 'Did he/she really just say that?!' Sometimes it makes me wonder about where we're headed. The world, our nation, our churches, Christianity, and especially our next generation (in which I hold a special place because they are my children's era).
The problem starts to come when I start to worry. I forget so easily the passages in the Bible where Jesus says that he is a good shepherd, that he will never leave me and of course-not to worry. So how are we to live? 'The righteous will live by faith.' (Gal. 3:11) 'So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith.' (Gal. 3:24)
I will be justified if I put my faith in Jesus Christ. Sounds like a simple formula. So what happens when I see all of these present-day events on the news or social media outlets that don't line up with the Law of God, and don't line up with proclaiming Jesus Christ? What am I to do?
It's difficult. We are starting to live in a culture where if you proclaim your beliefs as a Christian, then you are offending or judging someone. And the argument is usually assaulted back at Christians as, 'Jesus would have loved everyone and you are hating!' Have Christians/the Church messed up sometimes-sure. But how did Jesus handle sin?
I can't think of a better way than in John 8. A woman is caught in adultery. The pharisees most likely had already picked up some stones to kill her. They bring her to Jesus to catch him in a trap. The Law of Moses had said that they must stone her (In a way the law led this woman to Christ-literally!). They wanted Jesus to say otherwise so they could arrest him as well. Then something amazing happens. I say amazing because we don't know. Jesus bends down and writes something on the ground with his finger. The pharisees leave. The woman is saved from the stoning.
But Jesus ends this encounter by saying something very profound-'Go now and leave your life of sin.' Jesus does not mess around with sin. He fully understands sin, and he fully understands the sin that is in all of our lives. But he brings freedom. Whereas the law cannot save us, it can reveal evil. Was this woman still guilty? Yes. Is adultery bad? Yes. But it doesn't have to equal death!!

Jesus loves you so much that he wouldn't let you die in your sin. 


-PC
pastorcory@rescuesumner.org
www.rescuesumner.org

No comments:

Post a Comment