Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Surviving Sorrow

Did you know that you and I have something in common?? I'm not being corny-I absolutely, 100% know that you and I have something in common-we've experienced sorrow. Either it's in the past, in the present and there will certainly be sorrow in the future. What's makes us different, potentially, is how we deal with sorrow. Either we will use the treasures of this world to ease or cope with sorrow, or we will use something out of this world to provide direction through sorrow. We'll call that faith.
For the treasures of this world we find everything from drugs/alcohol, money, sex, you fill in the blank. What we have found time and time again is that the answers that the world provides are short lived and usually adds to the original problem. So why do we engage in it? Because we crave to be in control of our cure. We want to be the doctor, we want to be the director, we want to be the savior of our own life. Have you ever tried this? How has it ended? I'm not pointing my finger at you-I've been there before as well. It's hard because we live in a world where the message of self is relentless.
So how can faith factor in? Faith has been commonly described as believing in what isn't seen. A great definition, but for me its meant the deepest level of understanding. Understanding that I'm here for a reason, understanding that there is a God, understanding that he has provided us a way to know Him. And understanding that after we leave from this world we will be somewhere for eternity.
When we are able to have faith and put our sorrow in eternal standards I believe we can...get ready...REJOICE! I know, I know. Crazy, right?

The LORD is close to the broken hearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit. Psalm 34:18
He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away. Revelation 21:4
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you. 1 Peter 5:7

That's why I put my faith in God, and when I say God-I'm talking Jesus Christ. The one who died for me, for my sins, so that I can experience a lifetime of salvation. I truly believe that as I experience sorrow in this life, God is working in me and through me to touch others around me. And also He is revealing a good plan for my life. As hard as it seems, as counter cultural it may sound-in my sorrow I will not stop loving God. For He alone is good.

-PC
pastorcory@rescuesumner.org
www.rescuesumner.org

No comments:

Post a Comment