Monday, April 22, 2013

The Power of a Testimony

I would do anything for my wife. And every year since we've been married, when the weather appears to get warmer, I am the gardener. I love my wife so much that I plant flowers with her. 
But to be honest, I actually enjoy it. I love the fact that in just a couple weeks I get to see the growth of something that I got to be apart of. It's never easy. Your hands get dirty. You have to clean away the weeds and rocks for the plant to fit in the ground. Everyday you have to check on it to make sure that nothing is getting in the way of the sun and that it has enough water. 
It takes work, but anyone can do it.
It's the same way with our testimony. The calling from Jesus to make disciples in all nations is easy to understand, difficult to execute, but possible. There is a simple story from the Book of John chapter 4. We all know about the story of the Samaritan woman at the well. Jesus has a private conversation with a woman for an afternoon and changes her life forever. In result, the town that she lived in had Jesus spend 2 days with them. He preached and many more believed. It was Jesus who saved them, but the woman's testimony brought them to Jesus. When the Spirit of God works through us, we get to participate in something much bigger. 
I grew up in the church. I realize and understand the 'pressure' that comes from the pastor and church to go out and disciple others (code word for: bring people to our church). As Christians and the Church we need to get back to the goal of bringing people to Jesus. This woman at the well had been living a life of sin, encountered Jesus, and changed the destiny of a town. 
So what are we waiting for? Jesus says in John 4:35, "Don’t you have a saying, ‘It’s still four months until harvest’? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." Farmers wait 4 months to pick their crops, but Jesus was saying that the fields were ready for harvest. 
Do you believe that your testimony has power? Let me repeat-the Spirit of God used the testimony of a 2 hour old Christian, Samaritan woman to change a city. God is waiting to move in a different, unique and unexpected way. Let's not waste the opportunity to change our city around us for Jesus. 

-PC

No comments:

Post a Comment