Monday, April 1, 2013

Being Sent

I had always viewed Easter as a holiday. I grew up in the church and so I knew that Easter was the day that we celebrated the resurrection of Jesus Christ. And as I matured into a teenager, I realized that we weren't supposed to just celebrate His resurrection on that one Sunday, but every day.

But it wasn't until a couple years ago as I was reading the Easter story that I realized this isn't the end of the greatest story of all time, but maybe the beginning. Certainly it was the beginning for His disciples.

John 20:21-23, 'Again Jesus said, “Peace be with you! As the Father has sent me, I am sending you.” And with that he breathed on them and said, “Receive the Holy Spirit. If you forgive anyone’s sins, their sins are forgiven; if you do not forgive them, they are not forgiven.”'

1. We are to receive the peace of God.
2. We are to receive the Holy Spirit into our lives.
3. We are to go and forgive.

I was beginning to realize that there is an Easter story placed in all of us. That Jesus rose from the dead and conquered death so that we may too share in the victory when our physical bodies die. But while we are here, we are supposed to be doing something.

What are we(you) doing with the Easter story? Are you celebrating it once a year? Or are you choosing to be sent out, no matter the 'consequences'?

-PC

No comments:

Post a Comment