Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Accepting Comfort

When's the last time you were truly comforted? Not the, 'I heard about your situation, I hope things get better.' But the, 'I know what's going on, I know how you feel, but this is what will happen and everything will be alright.'
I was challenged last night in my men's Bible study as I heard from one of our men about a time where they were comforted by someone else and how it affected their view on a situation. It hit me like Kam Chancellor. So many times we exclaim we have a faith full of love and humility and that we care, but what do we DO???
When was the last time you cared for someone? I've come to understand that love and humility are not just a feeling, but an action. Thanksgiving is coming up and I'm not sure if you do this at your family gathering, but there is a popular custom of going around the table and saying, 'I'm thankful for....'. And its funny because someone every year will say that they are thankful for their friends and family. Do they know that?!?! Just because we say it in front of a turkey, does it mean we're done??
Last Sunday we chatted about this at our church gathering. Jesus in John chapter 14 does something for his disciples that was needed-he comforted them. I'm not sure if you knew but Jesus talked a TON at the last supper. John was probably in the corner crying because his hand was cramping up from taking so many notes-hoping Jesus would talk slower.
Jesus had just gotten through telling his disciples he was leaving, one of you is going to betray me, and oh yeah Peter-you'll deny me. And then in John 16 Jesus will tell them, 'You will leave me all alone.' I'm guessing all of the disciples were depressed in that moment. So what does Jesus do-he sets the example.
Don't let your hearts be troubled, peace be with you, I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you, and he repeats don't let your hearts be troubled.
When you follow Jesus, you follow someone who understands-someone who knows what's going on.
Hebrews 4:15, 'For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are-yet he did not sin.'
And so you need to accept the comfort he can give. TODAY. Don't wait. Stop enjoying your sorrowful attention. Stand up and declare what Jesus has done.
And then after that-go comfort someone. Scroll through your contacts on your phone and comfort someone! Jesus set the example-we must follow.

-PC
www.pastorcory@rescuesumner.org
www.rescuesumner.org

No comments:

Post a Comment