Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The World Hates Us

It was too much, over the top, whatever you want to call it. We were down by 30 points and it was halftime. My high school football coach was looking us in the eyes, and telling us it wasn't over. I looked to my right-one of my buddies was crying because he couldn't breathe; I look to my left and I was pretty sure one of my other buddies was now cross-eyed. I thought to myself, yes I'll play hard, but we are still going to lose. There is no way. They are already playing their backups. It was too hard.
I wish I could tell you we won that game, and from there on out people called me Rudy, but we didn't.
I think sometimes we as Christians think that the 'world' is too much. It will be too hard to turn this ship around. And to be clear-the 'world' are not people who slept in to watch the 10AM football games. The 'world' is any conduct or set of beliefs opposed to the one true God. But sadly, most of the time this conduct and belief are embodied by people. And yes, our priorities are our beliefs.
I like to call this the 'drawbridge' principle. Hurry!! Get everyone inside the church and lock the doors before the zombies come in, because we all know what happens when they get in!! We are accustomed to organizing Saved Groups of people that just get together on Sunday mornings.
So how do we get back on course? Listen to Jesus. John 15:18, 'If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.' It's not a matter of if-we will all be hated. If you love Jesus, you will be hated. But because our God loves us, He will send a Counselor to help us navigate through this life. The Spirit of truth! And if we go through John 16 we are encouraged by the words, 'I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world!'
This does not sound timid. This sounds bold. These words don't make it sound that the 'world' is too hard. These words make me feel as if we are being led by someone victorious!

If my coach had told me that night in that smelly locker room that we had already won the game, I would have thrown the war paint on and Bravehearted it out of there. So why don't we do that with the gospel of Jesus? The battle has been fought and we are able to claim victory. Every trial and temptation the world throws at us CAN BE OVERCOME.
2 Corinthians 12:10, 'For Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.'


-PC
pastorcory@rescuesumner.org
www.rescuesumner.org

No comments:

Post a Comment