Monday, November 4, 2013

Troubled Spirit

John 13:21, 'After he had said this, Jesus was troubled in spirit and testified, "I tell you the truth, one of you is going to betray me."'

We enjoy relationships. We were built to have friends, not Facebook friends, actual friends. Why? Because we don't want to be alone! We love sitting down for a hot coffee with a buddy and watching the leaves fall to the ground during this awesome season of Fall! And I believe God loves it when we get together with friends.
What happens when friends leave us? What happens when we feel as if we're alone? What happens when you know you have to have a difficult conversation with a friend about something you know is wrong? Are you still willing to have that conversation if it means they might leave you?
Jesus is sitting in a room eating a meal with 12 of his closest friends. One of them will be leaving the party early because he needs to betray him. The remaining 11 that are there will all abandon him when things become difficult.
John 16:32, 'A time is coming, and has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home. You will leave me all along.'
And yet he washes their feet and shares a meal with them. So yes, a troubled spirit seems obvious. His closest friends, his disciples will leave him.
I was given a head start growing up. I grew up in a church with Christian friends. Being a Christian and talking about God was a conversation that I had with a majority of my friends. It wasn't until high school that my faith was tested. And in many cases, I failed. I saw my friends going down a path that was not glorifying God and I sat on my hands. Why? Because I was fine. My spirit was not troubled. My heaven ticket was punched and I liked the thought of that.
That's not how God wants me to live. He wants my spirit to be troubled. Why? Because there are those that are around me who are denying Jesus. Do you have neighbors, co-workers, old high school friends, family members who know Jesus but have said no?

Then let your spirit be troubled, because in this story Jesus is staring at his closest allies knowing that they will leave him within 24 hours.

If you need encouragement, or someone to listen. Let me buy you a coffee, and prove to you that I want to walk with you on this journey.

-PC
www.rescuesumner.org
pastorcory@rescuesumner.org

No comments:

Post a Comment