Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Jesus Loves His Children

As we move closer and closer to Christmas, there is always that moment where everyone on earth asks why? Why do we celebrate Christmas? And hopefully that thought process will come around to Jesus. Who is Jesus? What did he do? Is he God? Why don't more Christians act like Jesus? (Another blog for another day).
But I hope for you that you've come to that point of the season where you settle down and ask yourself, 'Why do we celebrate Christmas?' It's still amazing to me that when I've talked to non-Christians, that they love it! Christmas is great! It's brings everyone together for meals and giving gifts to one another! It makes you wonder that just maybe...Jesus is still working. Drawing all men and women to himself.
This year I've been challenged to think of Christmas just a little differently. We've always come to the manger where Jesus was born and knelt and worshipped-and we should. Luke 2:10-11, 'But the angel said to them, 'Do not be afraid; for see-I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is the Messiah, the Lord.'
That's great news!! We have our Savior, our Messiah, our Lord!!
The difference for me this year is that I am also going to the cross. As I read the days and hours leading to Jesus' death, I'm reminded of how these cheers from 'Savior, Messiah, Lord!' changed to 'Crucify Him!'. Their expectations for Jesus had changed, and so did their loyalty. They wanted something else from Jesus!
But in reality Jesus was everything they needed. He was and still is God.
Because of that cross, I can have hope this year! Hope that the circumstances I find myself in are not the final word! Hope that God has a plan! Because of Jesus I can have joy this year! Joy to know that Jesus came in a manger, but willingly went to the cross for me! Knowing that no nail bound him to that cross, but His love for me! Because of Jesus I can have freedom this year! There is freedom in not knowing the future-I know strange, huh? 'Don't worry about tomorrow!' God has a plan and He loves His children.
Jesus loves you this Christmas season. He came as a baby, but died a man carrying the weight of our sin on His shoulders. That should cause us to remember and be glad.

-PC
pastorcory@rescuesumner.org
www.rescuesumner.org

No comments:

Post a Comment