Monday, December 30, 2013

What Matters to You?

Have you ever closed your eyes and said there is no light because it's dark behind your eyelids?
Maybe a silly question but how have we used this same kind of reasoning when deciding what is important in our lives? What matters, and what is true.
We've just come through an amazing Christmas season. Where most families in America get up, climb into their Christmas Snuggies and run downstairs to open presents, watch a fake fire on t.v., and look outside hoping for snow. We celebrate Christmas, but do we actually celebrate Christmas?
Opening gifts is an easy way to celebrate Christmas, but focusing on the actual reason could be at risk for our culture. There has been an evolution in our minds about what is helpful and needed. 'I don't have to adapt my life to anything I don't find helpful. Truth for me is what I find acceptable and helpful.' 
There is no doubt that the message and person of Jesus is not necessarily "helpful" for our life here on earth because a relationship with Jesus will cause the world to hate us. John 15:18-19, 'If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world. That is why the world hates you.'
So if the world is going to hate me, why believe in Jesus?! If I believe in Jesus, I have to get up early on Sundays, I have to stop cursing, I have to love others, NO THANKS! I want my life to be about me! If it's helpful to me, then I'll participate in it!
And then we are hit with the empty tomb. Jesus rose from the dead. That matters. Why? Because I'm not getting younger and I will die someday. I want to tell my children that older family members are in heaven because they believed in and loved Jesus. You can't live your life not finding it helpful to follow Christ, and then all of a sudden-oh yes this resurrection deal matters.
Now believe me, I'm not getting into a debate over death bed conversions. I'm trying to say that if the resurrection of Jesus Christ means anything to you today, then it should be shown in our love for Jesus NOW. Because he's alive-NOW.
So I hope your Christmas was much more than the norm. And if it wasn't-don't worry. Our Lord listens and loves. Follow him today (don't wait).

-PC
pastorcory@rescuesumner.org
www.rescuesumner.org


No comments:

Post a Comment